Opportunity: HLCIN Built Environment Low Carbon Challenge
DATE: 17th October 2018
Registered SMEs who attend 12 hours of Innovation Support (2 days) in September will be invited to participate in a Low Carbon Innovation Showcase with major buyer organisations, on October 17th 2018, at BRE.
This challenge is part of the Hertfordshire Low Carbon Innovation Network project, run by BRE in partnership with Green Triangle and Synoptica, and part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
This innovation call is open to SMEs with innovative low carbon solutions, which will improve energy efficiency or reduce carbon emissions in the built environment. Participating SMEs must be registered in England; we are particularly keen to hear from Hertfordshire-based innovators.Background
BRE has brought together a group of organisations, including developers, commercial property owners and local authorities, who are all actively looking for low carbon innovations for their property portfolios in order to reduce energy costs and carbon emissions, whilst at the same time aiming to improve occupant health and wellbeing.
Innovative solutions may include (but are not restricted to):
▪ Next generation HVAC
▪ Metering and monitoring
▪ Improved thermal solutions for the building envelope
▪ Heat/ energy recovery
▪ Improved building management solutions
▪ Improved sensors and controls for energy systems and utilities
▪ Low carbon energy generation and storage
▪ Recycled or refurbished materials
▪ Modern methods of construction
Eligible SMEs will be provided with 12 hours of free innovation support from BRE, including sessions on;
§ Performance assessment of non-standard innovations
§ Energy and sustainability assessment methods for the built environment
§ Market briefings directly relating to the innovation
§ Fit-to-supply sessions
§ Communicating innovation benefits
§ Understanding client appetite for investment risk
* Deadline for applications: 31/08/2018
Opportunity to pitch to potential buyers
Eligible innovators who complete 12 hours of innovation support will be invited to attend our Innovation Showcase on Oct 17th. Space will be provided to display marketing materials and we will facilitate introductions with potential buyers.
In addition, a number of SMEs will be eligible for further support, which might include:
- advice on product development
- access to industry leading research and development facilities to help develop, test and refine product and service solutions.
- pilots and in-situ testing for those solutions with highest potential to meet demand requirements.
To be eligible, the applicant organisation must:
- Be an SME (fewer than 250 staff and an annual turnover not exceeding 50 million euros or an annual balance sheet of not more than 43 million euros)
- Be eligible for State Aid support (see FAQs)
- Meet the requirements of the challenge
- Have their registered head office in England.
NOTE: We welcome applications from new enterprises and businesses with close-to-market innovation.
For more information contact:
Jackie Sharp, Sustainability Consultant