New Entrepreneurs of The Year Finalists Choose Equity Crowdfunding over traditional capital
Bamboo Tissue company becomes an Amazon Bestseller and seeks to disrupt a £50bn a year industry
Winners of numerous product and innovation awards and finalists at The Duke of York New Entrepreneurs of the Year at the 2017 National Business Awards, Julie Chen and Chris Forbes have taken the brave decision not to seek traditional scale up finance in favour of raising £350k on the Equity Crowdfunding platform Seedrs.
Chris said, “Venture Capital and Equity Syndicates have highly paid teams that all require a salary and a piece of the action and we felt we would get a better deal with Equity Crowdfunding.”
We knew that we were onto a great business by the fact we have been finalists or won over 10 awards within 12 months and that we had already secured big contracts with the UKs leading Janitorial Companies including Bunzl and Lyreco.
The Venture Capital and Syndicate world just seemed to want an easy deal for their clients and we felt that they were undervaluing what we have. Richard Branson’s Voom had us quoted at £3m back in April and the company has gone from strength to strength since then.
Within 1 week on a private launch The Cheeky Panda has already raised £250k of its £350k target on a valuation on £5m. Here are some additional facts about The Cheeky Panda Bamboo tissue and why this company is very special:
- Bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world growing at up to 1 meter a day
- Bamboo is the most sustainable option for tissue paper
- Bamboo harvests every year, unlike trees that can take up to 30 years
- Bamboo fibre longer making it strong and softer than tree tissue
- BAmboo has 65% less carbon, companies can save 1 ton of carbon per 1,000 people per month by switching to Bamboo toilet tissue
- Its 100% bamboo tissue rather than a mix of virgin pulp and recycled tissue so no nasty de-inking chemicals and making it healthier for people’s skin.
- It’s the 100% FSC certified tissue brand in the UK all the other major tissue brands are FSC Mix.
- Over 100 Amazon reviews with a 4.6* rating and a bestseller.
- The Cheeky Panda was highly commended by the Green Awards for Fast Track Company of the Year.
- Tissue might be overlooked but it’s a £2bn UK market that hasn’t been disrupted in decades.
- The company is already selling successfully throughout the EU.
- The tissue is in major bank, airport lounges, sporting venues and over 100 stores.
Chris and Julie aim to inspire other people to be Green Entrepreneurs.
Green companies can create a sustainable low carbon future for the planet and help make the world a better place.
You can buy shares in The Cheeky Panda via their crowdfunding platform www.seedrs.com/thecheekypanda
You can see more on their social media panda videos on their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn feeds as well as www.thecheekypanda.co.uk