EnPower is looking for a senior cell engineer
W Pinnacle Peak Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85027, USA
EnPower, Inc. is an early-stage startup. They are developing next-generation Li-ion batteries that have fast-charging and long cycle-life capabilities—critical enablers to the mass electrification of vehicles. Their R&D, pilot-manufacturing, and sales operations are based out of our engineering facility & headquarters located in the north Phoenix – Deer Valley area. Which is where they are producing hundreds of >3.0Ah pouch cells per week.
The Senior Cell Engineer will be responsible for leading the design and execution of experiments in EnPower’s pouch cell line, either for internal cell development or for joint development work with automotive OEM (or other specialty markets) customers. This requires a deep understanding of electrode formulations and cell design, prototyping/manufacturing processes, active material chemistries, and electrolytes in order to develop optimized cell designs. The Sr. Cell Engineer is expected to work closely with Electrode Processing and Cell Assembly team members to produce electrodes on schedule and manage experiment/project timelines. The Sr. Cell Engineer is also expected to design test protocols accordingly. All members of the team are expected to communicate frequently and directly with the CTO to review results from experiments, and continually advance the mission of building better batteries.
- M.S. or PhD. in Materials Engineering or Electrochemistry with a focus on energy storage
- 2 – 5 years’ industrial commercial experience in Li-ion battery research and development
- Knowledge of multilayer pouch cell construction (>3Ah) and various electrochemical testing techniques, including familiarity with Arbin/Maccor/Neware/Bio-Logic battery analyzers, EIS/FRA, CV, LVS, 3-electrode cell testing, etc.
- Ability to quickly and efficiently analyze data. Knowledge of Python programming a plus
- Knowledge of basic materials characterization techniques, including SEM, XRD, BET, laser particle size analyzers, TGA, etc.
- Previous experience with the following will be highly preferred:
- Formulations design for Li-ion battery electrodes and/or electrolytes
- Hands-on pouch cell, 18650/26650/2170, prismatic cell assembly experience
- Production-scale manufacturing of Li-ion cells and familiarity with production equipment
- Physics-based electrochemical modeling
- High-throughput Design of Experiment
Closing Date: February 1, 2021
Please mention Cambridge Cleantech when applying.